in Events & Opportunities

Sex in the Abbey performance–10/12 & 10/13

I am  thrilled to announce  that we  will be presenting  a work-in-progress production of Sex and the Abbey by Diana Ly. Directed by Emily Lyon,  Thursday, October 12 at 3:30 p.m., and Friday, October 13 at 2:00 p.m. Both shows will be followed by a Q&A hosted by the creative team.

“I had the idea to write this play as a challenge to a question that was posed in class, that it was unknown whether or not any of Hrotsvit’s plays were performed. I felt sure that any group of women, even these “nuns” as I imagined them at the time, would have performed or attempted to perform these plays…” – Diana Ly, Playwright & MFA Candidate at Hunter College

About the play: The Abbey is in trouble –– and only Hrotsvit’s play can save them! The canonesses need to impress Emperor Otto (who’s visiting tonight!) with a performance… by Hrotsvit, the first Western woman who ever dared to write a play. Embroiled in lustful conflicts, the stress of daily prayers, and impassioned moral arguments, can these women save Gandersheim Abbey from male takeover? Find out in this hot goss from 10th Century Saxony!

For more info on the play and study guide https://www.lpac.nyc/upcoming-events/sex-and-the-abbey [lpac.nyc]

To reserve tickets , please reach out directly to me.

We hope to see you at the show!